Wednesday 20 July 2011

Aromatics


I savour that old money smell, delicately perfumed with Mum.  Aromatics by Clinique.  It is distinct and in a class of its own.  Just like Mum's handbag.  As a child I teased at the clasp, until it released an apothecary of rich and wondrous aromas, textures, colours and toys.  I'd reach for a penny, and as I raised it from it's satin bed, dusty with face powder, and glossed with a smatter of eloping lipstick, I would smell that perfect smell, laced with her smile, her scold, her far-away look and her dreams.  She'd reach for the penny in my hand, look into the distance, and assure me that money could not buy dreams.  But smells can.  When I raise that perfume to glisten my wrist, she's with me again.  I smell her smell, I see her smile, I dream her dreams, and I know, that as she was then, and is now, she'll always be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment